Updated: Feb 10, 2022
Whenever I teach beginner sewing to someone with brand new goals, or a unique class to someone that wants to advance their skills, I always advise the same: just keep sewing! Everyone who wants to learn to sew has a dream to make their own clothes with a level of confidence that they want to shout it to the world, or they want to approach every pattern they come across with that same confidence that they can do it.
Whatever your sewing goal is, just keep sewing; keep seeking the skills you want, use social media to immerse yourself into the community, participate in sewcial events where you can meet others with the same goals and others you can learn from. The craft of sewing is vast in many communities and there is a place for you.
Here are 10 tips and suggestions to help your sewing journey:
1. Keep sewing every project you approach and make mistakes over and over again - you will begin to see those mistakes coming and you won't make them in the next project.
2. Read through the pattern before starting the project to ensure you have a good understanding of each step.
3. Look online for reviews of your pattern choice and see what issues others have had...this will provide understanding before you begin cutting.
4. Wash (dry clean), dry, and iron your new fabric before sewing - you want your fabric to to throughout its first cleaning process before construction of the garment.
5. Use one pair of scissors on fabric and another pair of scissors on paper...always.
6. Press (not iron), your seams during garment construction. Press the seam with iron with an up/down motion (use steam appropriately), trying not to move the iron back/forth - risking stretching the fabric.
7. MAKE A MUSLIN - this allows you to teach yourself how to make a garment before your make it.
8. If you make a garment with a pattern that you love, it fits and the pattern was easy to make - keep that pattern as a permanent pattern and use it to create other designs for yourself.
9. Take time to learn new skills - ask questions on social media if you see something you like - they will answer!
10. Invest in your craft, buy nice tools - if your machine is acting strange, get it tuned up - get your scissors sharpened - sew your stash!
Wanna Up Your Sewing Game This Year!
What about making jeans? Think you can't do it - or it's too hard - or it will take too long - nah! Jeans are easier than you think - lot's of topstitching, then you put them on.
Need a new winter coat? Let's make one - color or your choice, fun fabric, any length. What kind? bomber jacket, trench rain coat, wool, faux fur...so many choices
Did you buy a sewing machine last year and it's still in the box?
Let's open the box and learn all about "you and your sewing machine"...you will be surprised! Thread it and make a zippered bag your first time.
Would you like to learn the intricate skills of dressmaking? Make a dress that fits you! learn about darts, facings, lining, invisible zippers and hemming.
What about making your own dress pattern? Take your measurements and draft your own pattern and make sure any commercial pattern fits, because you understand the measurements of your body and how they relate to the lines on the pattern.
Make your dream garment with Private Lessons PLUS. Select your pattern, design or garment you'd like to make and get one-on-one guidance and recorded instruction to review later.
Let's get started...
Enhance your sewing journey with high-touch value, and take advantage of 40 years sewing experience in veteran sewist/designer Nikki G. Private Lessons PLUS, the monthly model, will give you true accountability that will allow you to see your sewing/design transformation as you "sew your own style", building a wardrobe of quality me-made garments...that fit!
Private Lessons PLUS includes:
Two 2-hour virtual private lessons per month - your project choice - in the comfort of your own sewing room
One group class monthly of your choice - garment, craft, sewing skills**
Instructor access - via email and phone
Private FB Group - Sewing Lessons LIVE Creators
Private YouTube Videos just for you and your project - prep, techniques, skill building - to support you in-between sessions
**Signature Classes not included in subscription: Bra Making, Jeans, Tailored Jacket
Learn to sew from the beginning or enhance your sewing skills with your dream sewing projects. Whatever goals you have, you can achieve them with Private Lessons PLUS and your choice of group sessions monthly in the comfort of your own sewing space via Zoom. Join me for live instruction, demonstrations and detailed answers to your questions.
**Gift Certificates also available for this service**